WindoftheStars.com | Morrigan Aensland – Cross Edge
348445
single,single-portfolio_page,postid-348445,eltd-cpt-1.0,ajax_fade,page_not_loaded,,moose-ver-1.1,vertical_menu_enabled, vertical_menu_left, vertical_menu_width_290, vertical_menu_transparency vertical_menu_transparency_on, vertical_menu_with_floating,smooth_scroll,side_menu_slide_with_content,width_370,blog_installed,wpb-js-composer js-comp-ver-4.7.1.1,vc_responsive

Morrigan Aensland – Cross Edge

Project Description

For the kimono I followed the directions also exclusively.  I did modify the edges by cutting away extra to mimic the design better.  The kimono is fully lined and closes up on the back seam inside (as opposed to how the pattern directs, leaving the neck seams raw and covering them with the neck band.)  To create the bats seen on the kimono, I used extra strength Heat and Bond attached to the violet casa satin on the wrong side.  Next, I traced out a crap ton of bats on the paper backing of the Heat and Bond then cut them all out while watching several episodes of anime.  By the way, that watching anime step is very important, otherwise you might go BATTY from cutting out so many bats. HAHA… Okay I’ll stop.

Heat and Bond, as the name implies, uses heat to activate the adhesive and allows you to bond fabric to fabric.  Once the bats were cut out, I used my iron to attach the bats to the finished kimono in various places trying to place them in similar positions as seen in the reference art.  The obi is by no means a traditional one, and doesn’t even follow the pattern used to make the kimono.  I ended up measuring a rectangle out on paper based on approximately how high and long I wanted it to be.  Using a quilting ruler to get the 45* angle, I marked out the different sections for the light and dark pink areas on my rectangle, then cut it up to make my pattern.  I transferred these shapes to the pink fabrics, making sure to add seam allowances.  Once the rectangles were sewn up, several layers of interfacing were added to the obi for stability.  Since this was a quick project, I didn’t use the correct interfacing (as I used what was on hand) and didn’t place boning into the obi.  All reasons as to why I want to remake it!  The obi has flat hook and eyes in the back to remain closed, the gold braid is then tied around my waist.  The flower has a pin on the back to attach it to the obi.  To create the petals on the head piece, I used left over pink casa satin heat and bonded to itself.  I then cut out little petal shapes, glued them together with hot glue, and attached some rhinestones I had on hand for extra effect.  The line attaching the petals to the flower are floral accents made of fishing line and faux pearls; an item that I picked up years ago for another project but was never used!  Finally the wig was styled by bringing hair forward to the front for bangs and then trimmed accordingly.  Due to the age of the wig, the fibers were non heat resistant and had to be manipulated using steam.

Project Details
Category

Video Games

Photographer Credits

Mel H., Estrada Photography, Joits, Mangabomb, Cosplay Corral.

Year Made

2015

Worn to

Wizard World San Jose 2015 Anime California 2015 Comikaze Expo 2015

Previous
Next