WindoftheStars.com | Morrigan Construction Notes
Portfolio, blog and tutorials by world famous American Cosplay girl WindoftheStars, Mel Hoppe. Learn how to make armor and cosplays, with cosplay tutorial videos and more. Enjoy photos of elaborate to sexy cosplays made by WindoftheStars.
cosplay, cosplay famous, tutorials, how to make cosplay, worbla, sexy, amor, female, naruto, sailor moon, overwatch, famous, international, best cosplay, american, american cosplay,
3248
single,single-post,postid-3248,single-format-standard,eltd-cpt-1.0,ajax_fade,page_not_loaded,,moose-ver-1.1,vertical_menu_enabled, vertical_menu_left, vertical_menu_width_290, vertical_menu_transparency vertical_menu_transparency_on, vertical_menu_with_floating,smooth_scroll,side_menu_slide_with_content,width_370,blog_installed,wpb-js-composer js-comp-ver-4.7.1.1,vc_responsive

Morrigan Construction Notes

Morrigan2

Here’s another costume write up/ breakdown.  Morrigan was a quick build, but hopefully you can take away a few things from this and apply it to your own costumes.

Planning

MorriganAensland-XEdge2

I choose to make Morrigan’s Kimono variant, instead of her classic outfit, because the kimono fit my time and money budget.  It’s always important to keep your time, money and skill in consideration at all times when creating a costume.  There wasn’t much left up to interpretation on this design, since it’s pretty straight forward.  I did opt to not do the traditional under bust obi roll as I feared it would make my waist look too bulky.

Patterns:
Simplicity 4080 – http://www.simplicity.com/p-2096-costumes.aspx
Modifications made to pattern:
– I did not add the extra pattern piece to the bottom of Front and Back pieces simply because I’m hobbit size and didn’t need that extra length.
– I also opted to leave the collar band off (just because it doesn’t look like Morrigan’s version has it either)
– Cut the bottom edges at an angle to expose more leg (again done to mimic design)
– Exaggerated the neckline opening to be more revealing but cutting away slightly.

Materials

Kimono

Obi

Misc.

  • Flowers –  Purchased at Joanns
  • Wig – Ebay, have had it for 7 years and the seller is no longer around.

 

Construction

For the kimono I followed the directions also exclusively.  I did modify the edges by cutting away extra to mimic the design better.  The kimono is fully lined and closes up on the back seam inside (as opposed to how the pattern directs, leaving the neck seams raw and covering them with the neck band.)  To create thebats seen on the kimono, I used extra strength Heat and Bond (Link to it here) attached to the violet casa satin on the wrong side.  Next, I traced out a crap ton of bats on the paper backing of the Heat and Bond then cut them all out while watching several episodes of anime.

IMG_3582Heat and Bond, as the name implies, use heat to activate the adhesive and allows you to bond fabric to fabric.  Once the bats were cut out (thank you Steff von Schweets for the help!), I used my iron to attach the bats to the finished kimono in various places trying to place them in similar positions as seen in the reference art.  The obi is by no means a traditional one, and doesn’t even follow the pattern used to make the kimono.  I ended up measuring a rectangle out on paper based on approximately how high and long I wanted it to be.  Using a quilting ruler to get the 45* angle, I marked out the different sections for the light and dark pink areas on my rectangle, then cut it up to make my pattern.  I transferred these shapes to the pink fabrics, making sure to add seam allowances.  Once the rectangles were sewn up, several layers of interfacing were added to the obi.  Since this was a quick project, I didn’t use the correct interfacing (as I used what was on hand) and didn’t place boning into the obi.  All reasons as to why I want to remake it!  The obi has flat hook and eyes in the back to remain closed, the gold braid is then tied around my waist.  The flower has a pin on the back to attach it to the obi.  To create the petals on the head piece, I used left over pink casa satin heat and bonded to itself as the material.  I then cut out little petal shapes, glued them together with hot glue, and attached some rhinestones I had on hand for extra effect.  The line attaching the petals to the flower are floral accents  made of fishing line and faux pearls; an item that I picked up years ago for another project but was never used!  Finally the wig was styled by bring hair forward to the front for bangs and then trimmed accordingly.  Due to the age of the wig, the fibers were non heat resistant and had to be manipulated using steam.

Conclusion

That should about cover it for the Morrigan Kimono Variant costume.  One thing that this costume exemplifies well is the construction of a costume on a budget.  In the end the only thing I purchased was 3 yards of black casa satin, 1 yard of violet casa satin and two flowers, totaling to about $40 worth of materials (thanks Joann’s coupons!).  I made sure to use a lot of things I had on hand left over from pervious costume, even if they weren’t the ideal material for the project.  In the end I am extremely satisfied with the overall look of this costume despite not getting to purchase what I really wanted for it.  Be resourceful!  You never know what you can come up with until you try.

AUTHOR: Mel

Mel is an internationally know cosplayer, who has won several awards for her costume work. She is skilled seamstress and artist, taking pride and value in the art of crafting costumes. Having been cosplaying for over a decade, she is a valued veteran of the cosplay community.

No Comments

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.